By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
MadisonyMadisony
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • National & World
  • Politics
  • Investigative Reports
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Money
  • Pets & Animals
Reading: Coast Guard suspends seek for alleged drug smugglers who jumped overboard after U.S. strike
Share
Font ResizerAa
MadisonyMadisony
Search
  • Home
  • National & World
  • Politics
  • Investigative Reports
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Money
  • Pets & Animals
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
2025 © Madisony.com. All Rights Reserved.
Politics

Coast Guard suspends seek for alleged drug smugglers who jumped overboard after U.S. strike

Madisony
Last updated: January 3, 2026 5:16 am
Madisony
Share
Coast Guard suspends seek for alleged drug smugglers who jumped overboard after U.S. strike
SHARE


Contents
Extra from CBS InformationGo deeper with The Free Press

The U.S. Coast Guard stated late Friday it has referred to as off a dayslong seek for a number of individuals within the Jap Pacific who jumped overboard when their alleged drug-trafficking boats had been focused by the U.S. navy.

The navy says it struck a gaggle of three boats on Tuesday — a part of a monthslong marketing campaign of airstrikes that the Trump administration says are concentrating on Latin American drug cartels at sea. However after the primary boat was struck, killing three, as many as eight individuals aboard the opposite two boats deserted their vessels, U.S. officers advised CBS Information earlier this week.

The Coast Guard stated in a press release that the individuals had been reported lacking about 400 nautical miles off the Mexico-Guatemala border. The search lasted about 65 hours and lined an space of ocean that spanned greater than 1,090 nautical miles, however a number of search boats didn’t spot any “survivors or particles,” in response to the Coast Guard.

“At this stage of the response, the probability of a profitable end result, primarily based on elapsed time, environmental situations, and out there assets for an individual within the water may be very low,” Coast Guard Capt. Patrick Dill stated within the assertion.

The search was carried out by a Coast Guard airplane that took off from California, a vessel within the space that belonged to the Coast Guard’s emergency help system and three different close by vessels that had been requested to assist. The Coast Guard stated in its assertion that “out there property had been extraordinarily restricted on account of distance and vary constraints.”

A Coast Guard spokesperson advised CBS Information earlier Friday that 40-knot winds and nine-foot seas had been reported within the space.

Colombian President Gustavo Petro — who has clashed with the Trump administration in current months — wrote on X Friday that the individuals appeared to outlive the strikes. He stated the Colombian Navy was keen to help.

The U.S. navy has performed a minimum of 35 boat strikes within the Caribbean and Jap Pacific between Sept. 2 and Dec. 31, killing a minimum of 115 individuals.

The navy has reported survivors in a handful of boat strikes — and has confronted heavy scrutiny for its dealing with of these circumstances. Two survivors from a mid-October strike had been detained by the U.S. Navy after which repatriated to Colombia and Ecuador. One survivor from a late October operation is presumed lifeless after the Mexican Navy referred to as off a search for the particular person.

And within the Trump administration’s first set of boat strikes on Sept. 2, two individuals survived the preliminary assault however had been killed in a follow-on strike. Congressional Democrats who considered a video of the operation criticized the second strike, alleging the navy killed shipwrecked individuals who not posed a menace, however GOP lawmakers have referred to as the strike justifiable, arguing the survivors appeared to nonetheless be within the combat.

The boat strikes are a part of a broader navy buildup within the area, amid a rising U.S. stress marketing campaign towards the regime of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. The Trump administration has accused Maduro’s authorities of working with drug cartels, which it denies.

The operations have drawn criticism from lawmakers who argue the president is working with out permission from Congress. The Trump administration has defended the strikes as needed to fight drug trafficking, calling the targets “illegal combatants.”

Caitlin Yilek and

Nicole Sganga

contributed to this report.

Extra from CBS Information

Go deeper with The Free Press

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Grok AI chatbot underneath scrutiny over sexualized photographs of girls, minors on X Grok AI chatbot underneath scrutiny over sexualized photographs of girls, minors on X
Next Article Trump and Iran commerce new threats on social media : NPR Trump and Iran commerce new threats on social media : NPR

POPULAR

Former deputy particular envoy for Iran discusses US-Iran nuclear talks : NPR
National & World

Former deputy particular envoy for Iran discusses US-Iran nuclear talks : NPR

New state legal guidelines power some sheriffs to cease cooperating with ICE
Politics

New state legal guidelines power some sheriffs to cease cooperating with ICE

YouTube Outage Impacts Tens of Thousands: Live Updates
world

YouTube Outage Impacts Tens of Thousands: Live Updates

How a lot does a vet go to price?
Money

How a lot does a vet go to price?

Two Palm Sized Kittens Rescue A Coronary heart That Didn’t Know It Wanted Saving
Pets & Animals

Two Palm Sized Kittens Rescue A Coronary heart That Didn’t Know It Wanted Saving

Miami College’s NCAA Match choice situations: Can Redhawks get in with one loss?
Sports

Miami College’s NCAA Match choice situations: Can Redhawks get in with one loss?

As U.S. brokers new Ukraine-Russia talks, Zelenksyy says assault exhibits Putin “disregards peace efforts”
National & World

As U.S. brokers new Ukraine-Russia talks, Zelenksyy says assault exhibits Putin “disregards peace efforts”

You Might Also Like

The suspect in a car-ramming assault on a German Christmas market is charged with homicide
Politics

The suspect in a car-ramming assault on a German Christmas market is charged with homicide

BERLIN (AP) — The suspect in a lethal car-ramming assault on a Christmas market within the German metropolis of Magdeburg…

2 Min Read
Dominion Voting Programs reaches settlement in its .3 billion defamation lawsuit towards Guiliani
Politics

Dominion Voting Programs reaches settlement in its $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit towards Guiliani

Rudy Giuliani has reached a settlement with Dominion Voting Programs in its $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit over his baseless 2020…

4 Min Read
U.S. army strikes one other boat in Caribbean — and there are survivors, official says
Politics

U.S. army strikes one other boat in Caribbean — and there are survivors, official says

The U.S. army struck one other boat within the Caribbean Sea on Thursday, and there have been survivors aboard the…

3 Min Read
Marjorie Taylor Greene says “I do not see political social gathering strains” on well being care
Politics

Marjorie Taylor Greene says “I do not see political social gathering strains” on well being care

Like lots of her Democratic colleagues, GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia is urging Congress to behave shortly to…

4 Min Read
Madisony

We cover the stories that shape the world, from breaking global headlines to the insights behind them. Our mission is simple: deliver news you can rely on, fast and fact-checked.

Recent News

Former deputy particular envoy for Iran discusses US-Iran nuclear talks : NPR
Former deputy particular envoy for Iran discusses US-Iran nuclear talks : NPR
February 18, 2026
New state legal guidelines power some sheriffs to cease cooperating with ICE
New state legal guidelines power some sheriffs to cease cooperating with ICE
February 18, 2026
YouTube Outage Impacts Tens of Thousands: Live Updates
YouTube Outage Impacts Tens of Thousands: Live Updates
February 18, 2026

Trending News

Former deputy particular envoy for Iran discusses US-Iran nuclear talks : NPR
New state legal guidelines power some sheriffs to cease cooperating with ICE
YouTube Outage Impacts Tens of Thousands: Live Updates
How a lot does a vet go to price?
Two Palm Sized Kittens Rescue A Coronary heart That Didn’t Know It Wanted Saving
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Service
Reading: Coast Guard suspends seek for alleged drug smugglers who jumped overboard after U.S. strike
Share

2025 © Madisony.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?