By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
MadisonyMadisony
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • National & World
  • Politics
  • Investigative Reports
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Money
  • Pets & Animals
Reading: 10 nonetheless lacking in Basilan ferry catastrophe; PCG says probe will observe rescue
Share
Font ResizerAa
MadisonyMadisony
Search
  • Home
  • National & World
  • Politics
  • Investigative Reports
  • Education
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Money
  • Pets & Animals
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
2025 © Madisony.com. All Rights Reserved.
Investigative Reports

10 nonetheless lacking in Basilan ferry catastrophe; PCG says probe will observe rescue

Madisony
Last updated: January 27, 2026 2:56 am
Madisony
Share
10 nonetheless lacking in Basilan ferry catastrophe; PCG says probe will observe rescue
SHARE

[ad_1]

Contents
Preliminary findingsAttainable triggerSome survivorsMonetary assist

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Search and rescue operations will proceed for 10 remaining passengers of the ill-fated ferry M/V Trisha Kerstin 3, a day after the vessel sank off Baluk-Baluk Island in Basilan province, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) mentioned on Tuesday, January 27.

Eight of the ten lacking are crew members, together with a sea marshal. Not one of the vessel’s crew are among the many 18 confirmed lifeless, the PCG mentioned.

PCG Commandant Admiral Ronnie Gil Gavan declined to touch upon the continued investigation into the incident or on the potential of holding the ferry’s proprietor, Aleson Delivery Traces, accountable for the deaths.

The January 26 sinking was the second main maritime incident involving a vessel owned by Aleson. In March 2023, greater than 30 folks died when the Aleson-owned ferry M/V Woman Mary Pleasure 3 caught hearth off the identical island.

Like Trisha Kerstin 3, Woman Mary Pleasure 3 was sure for Jolo, Sulu, from Zamboanga Metropolis.

Gavan mentioned the PCG would prioritize the seek for the remaining lacking passengers.

“We is not going to focus on liabilities and the potential causes of the incident till such time the investigation has began and accomplished, since we don’t need to speculate,” he mentioned.

He mentioned the investigation would start solely after search and rescue and retrieval operations are terminated.

Gavan declined to present a timeline as a result of “we skilled earlier than [that] survivors had been discovered even a number of days after the incident and rescue operation had ended.”

In a press release launched on Monday, Aleson mentioned, “We remorse to tell the general public that our passenger vessel… sank off Baluk-baluk Island,” including that it instantly deployed all obtainable vessels to help in rescue efforts.

“We prolong our deepest gratitude to all who provided their invaluable help throughout this vital time,” it added because it requested for “prayers, persistence, and understanding as [search and rescue] efforts proceed.”

Preliminary findings

Gavan mentioned verified information confirmed the vessel was carrying 317 passengers, not 332 as earlier reported, when it departed Zamboanga Metropolis on Sunday night time, January 25.

The PCG mentioned a complete of 344 folks had been on board on the time of the incident, because the vessel was manned by a 27-person crew, together with a sea marshal.

“It was decided throughout additional validation that 15 among the many 332 passengers listed on the manifest didn’t board when the vessel departed the native port,” Gavan informed a information convention late Monday in Zamboanga Metropolis.

He mentioned the ferry was not overloaded, as its most passenger capability was 352. The manifest listed 332 passengers, together with those that later cancelled their journey or didn’t board.

As of Monday night, authorities had accounted for 316 survivors, with 18 confirmed lifeless and 10 nonetheless lacking, Gavan mentioned.

He mentioned he had ordered all PCG stations to additional strengthen pre-departure inspections to make sure vessels will not be overloaded.

Gavan mentioned authorities had been optimistic that there could be no oil spill, though an oil sheen had been noticed on the web site. He mentioned diesel gasoline dissipates rapidly as it’s categorized as gentle oil. The vessel was carrying about 25,000 litres of diesel gasoline when it sank.

Maritime Business Authority (Marina) regional director Engineer Jedini Nur Sibal mentioned the vessel was compliant with ship security necessities.

Sibal mentioned the vessel carried greater than 500 life jackets – nearly twice the variety of passengers on board – opposite to claims by some survivors that the ferry lacked life vests.

Attainable trigger

In a video interview posted on GMA Information’ Fb web page, Zamboanga Metropolis Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso mentioned a potential explanation for the sinking could have been the failure of a lashing securing automobiles on board.

Olaso mentioned one of many vehicles could have damaged free from its restraints and shifted place because the vessel was struck by robust waves, contributing to the checklist and eventual sinking.

By the way, Olaso is a former ship captain and his spouse belongs to the Tan household, which owns the Zamboanga Metropolis-based Aleson delivery agency.

Some survivors

Julmunier Jikiri, 26, one of many survivors, mentioned the ferry didn’t have an emergency alarm system to alert passengers promptly.

“I used to be woke up by the screams of the passengers crying for assist whereas the vessel was itemizing,” Jikiri mentioned.

He mentioned he later discovered himself in freezing water in darkness at sea. Jikiri had been sleeping on a mattress on the heart of the higher deck.

A former safety guard in Manila, Jikiri was travelling to Barangay Tulay in Jolo, Sulu, to go to his mother and father. He mentioned he was uncertain if he may return to Manila to use for work once more after dropping all his paperwork within the incident.

One other survivor, Anthony Salihuddin, 34, mentioned he “left his destiny within the palms of Allah” after being thrown overboard when the vessel listed and sank.

“I seemed straight to the sky with Allah in my thoughts and prayed for assist each time I floated to relaxation and regain power till assist arrived,” he mentioned.

Salihuddin mentioned he survived the freezing water with an aged lady who requested him for assist.

When the rescuers lastly arrived, he mentioned he needed to swim to a different motorboat regardless of being weak after these aboard the watercraft refused to take him in, saying: “Mga senior residents lang dito. Punta ka doon sa isang motorboat.”

(Solely senior residents are allowed right here. Go to the opposite motorboat.)

“Kung nakilala ko lang ‘yong pulis, isusumbong ko talaga sa kinauukulan,” Salihuddin mentioned. (If I had recognized who these law enforcement officials had been, I’d have reported them to the authorities.)

Salihuddin was apparently referring to members of the Police Maritime Group, who had been among the many responders.

Salihuddin, who works as a site visitors enforcer at a mall in Makati and was travelling dwelling to Jolo, Sulu, to go to his household. Like Jikiri, he had been sleeping on a mattress on the heart of the higher deck. Each returned to Jolo on Monday night aboard a business ferry.

Monetary assist

The Basilan provincial authorities has offered about P1.2 million in monetary help to victims of the maritime incident.

Governor Mujiv Hataman mentioned every of the 223 survivors delivered to Isabela Metropolis, the provincial capital, obtained P5,000, whereas households of those that died got P10,000 every.

Hataman mentioned seven of the 18 confirmed fatalities had been taken to Isabela aboard M/V Stephanie Marie, a sister ship of Trisha Kerstin 3.

Of the 223 survivors delivered to Isabela, 24 had been taken to the Basilan Medical Middle for therapy.

“The sufferers are at present below the care of the hospital’s medical doctors, nurses and different well being professionals,” Hataman mentioned.

The Division of Social Welfare and Improvement offered ready-to-eat meals to survivors in Basilan and Zamboanga Metropolis. – Rappler.com

[ad_2]

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Do you have to rework your own home or transfer? Do you have to rework your own home or transfer?
Next Article MCP shipped with out authentication. Clawdbot reveals why that's an issue. MCP shipped with out authentication. Clawdbot reveals why that's an issue.

POPULAR

Eritrean Man Convicted of Raping Elderly Pensioner Outside London Church
top

Eritrean Man Convicted of Raping Elderly Pensioner Outside London Church

Emergency Alerts: Past Failures and How to Disable Them
top

Emergency Alerts: Past Failures and How to Disable Them

UK Prime Minister Exchanged Messages with White House Imposter
Politics

UK Prime Minister Exchanged Messages with White House Imposter

Jackie Appelton Enjoys Italian Getaway with Beckham Family
Entertainment

Jackie Appelton Enjoys Italian Getaway with Beckham Family

Neymar’s Long-Standing Rivalry Reignites with Thiago Mendes
Sports

Neymar’s Long-Standing Rivalry Reignites with Thiago Mendes

Iran Conflict: Key Developments and Global Impact
business

Iran Conflict: Key Developments and Global Impact

Supermarkets Test Facial Recognition to Combat Retail Crime
world

Supermarkets Test Facial Recognition to Combat Retail Crime

You Might Also Like

The week in images: September 13-19, 2025
Investigative Reports

The week in images: September 13-19, 2025

MANILA, Philippines – Leyte 1st District Consultant Martin Romualdez introduced his resignation as Home speaker on September 17. Romualdez couldn't escape…

8 Min Read
Marcos suspends fare hike a day earlier than rollout
Investigative Reports

Marcos suspends fare hike a day earlier than rollout

That is AI generated summarization, which can have errors. For context, all the time seek advice from the total article.…

3 Min Read
Russian drones, missiles pound Ukraine forward of Zelenskyy-Trump assembly
Investigative Reports

Russian drones, missiles pound Ukraine forward of Zelenskyy-Trump assembly

KYIV, Ukraine – Russia attacked Kyiv and different elements of Ukraine with a whole bunch of missiles and drones on…

9 Min Read
How Filipinos are standing up vs flood management corruption on November 30
Investigative Reports

How Filipinos are standing up vs flood management corruption on November 30

That is AI generated summarization, which can have errors. For context, all the time check with the total article. Examine…

5 Min Read
Madisony

We cover the stories that shape the world, from breaking global headlines to the insights behind them. Our mission is simple: deliver news you can rely on, fast and fact-checked.

Recent News

Eritrean Man Convicted of Raping Elderly Pensioner Outside London Church
Eritrean Man Convicted of Raping Elderly Pensioner Outside London Church
August 17, 2026
Emergency Alerts: Past Failures and How to Disable Them
Emergency Alerts: Past Failures and How to Disable Them
August 17, 2026
UK Prime Minister Exchanged Messages with White House Imposter
UK Prime Minister Exchanged Messages with White House Imposter
August 17, 2026

Trending News

Eritrean Man Convicted of Raping Elderly Pensioner Outside London Church
Emergency Alerts: Past Failures and How to Disable Them
UK Prime Minister Exchanged Messages with White House Imposter
Jackie Appelton Enjoys Italian Getaway with Beckham Family
Neymar’s Long-Standing Rivalry Reignites with Thiago Mendes
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Service
Reading: 10 nonetheless lacking in Basilan ferry catastrophe; PCG says probe will observe rescue
Share

2025 © Madisony.com. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?